Simple Crock-pot Chuck Roast
This recipe is the perfect “set it and forget it” recipe for a busy day!
Serve over mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles.
- 3-4 lb Beef Chuck Roast
- 1 lb Bacon, Roughly Chopped
- 1 Large White Onion, Quartered
- 1-2 Cups Baby Carrots
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable or Olive Oil
- Smoked Sea Salt, Fresh Ground Black Pepper, Garlic Powder – to taste
- ¾ Cup Beef Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Season Chuck Roast on all sides with Salt, pepper, & Garlic Powder.
- In Skillet or pan, over Medium-High heat, add 1 Tbsp vegetable/olive oil to pan.
- Once oil is hot, sear chuck roast on all sides until browned nicely.
- Place quartered onion on the bottom of your crock pot – This acts as a stand for your chuck roast to lay on, so it doesn’t burn or dry out. Lay seared chuck roast on top of onions.
- Using the same pan you seared your roast in – add chopped bacon and cook until slightly browned and starting to caramelize. Keep a lid on top to avoid splatter, and carefully stir occasionally…. about 10 minutes cooking time. Once bacon is cooked, pour over chuck roast, scraping any bits & oil into the crockpot.
- Toss carrots on top & around of chuck roast.
- Break bay leaf in half and place on either side of roast, and pour beef broth in crock pot around the roast.
- Set on LOW for 6 hours. Depending on your crock pot & size of roast, this could take up to 8 hours. Roast should be fork tender and fall apart when finished. Carefully remove Bay leaf prior to serving.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles, with veggies & juices.